A physical exam by a veterinarian is the best preventative your pet can get. During a physical exam, your veterinarian can screen for signs of many common diseases and/or problem. Where humans may have a doctor for each body system, your veterinarian has to do a full comprehensive exam as they care for your pet’s entire body.
What can your veterinarian do for you?
• Check if your pet is overweight or underweight
• Check for signs of infection/disease of the skin, ears, and teeth
• Check for lumps and/or bumps on the skin that may potentially be malignant
• Evaluate the heart for murmurs
• Educate on common clinical signs of disease that your pet may already be experiencing
• “Palpate” or feel the belly to check for any pain
• Evaluate the eyes for any disease
• Evaluate your pet’s gait for any limping
Please remember that dogs and cats age faster than humans. Each year a dog or cat may actually age 6-7 years. This fact makes it even more important for your pet to be checked regularly.