Halloween is almost here, and children await the fun of trick-or-treating. But there are many dangers of Halloween that can be a threat to your pet’s health. Central Veterinary Associates urges pet owners to keep their pets safe this Halloween by following these tips:
• Keep all candy, especially chocolate, away from your pet. Chocolate contains Theobromine, which is toxic to your pet. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea or a rapid heartbeat, possibly death.
• The continuous ringing of the doorbell can upset a pet and the constant opening of the door is an opportunity for a pet to run into the street. Keep your pet in a relaxed and quiet area of your home away from the door.
• Keep lollipops and any candy with sticks out of your pet’s reach. These sticks, if swallowed, can potentially block or cut through an area from the stomach to the intestines.
• Dispose of empty candy wrappers. These materials cannot be digested and may cause a blockage or inflammation of the stomach or intestines.
• Be careful of sugar-free candy, as it can be toxic to your pet if it contains the ingredient xyllitol.
Halloween is supposed to be fun, but that fun can turn tragic if a pet accidentally ingests a piece of candy or runs past an open door when greeted by trick-or-treaters. If in the event your pet becomes sickened, take them to the veterinarian immediately or call Central Veterinary Associates at 1-888-4CVA-PET. We are open at our Valley Stream location 24/7 including Halloween.