Central Veterinary Associates is alerting pet owners that Lafeber Co., based in Cornell, Illinois, has recently recalled several lots of bird food due to high moisture levels which could lead to bacterial or fungal growth. According to the company, the grains used in the product that were brought to the company were improperly stored, causing the high levels of moisture.
The following products have been recalled by Lafeber Co.:
● Parrot Nutri-Berries (12 oz. tubs), with a Best Before date of 121913B
● Parrot Nurti-Berries (3.25 lb. tubs and 20-lb. boxes) with a Best Before date of 121813A, 121813B, 121913A, 122713A, 122713B and 010514
● Parrot Popcorn Nutri-Berries (4 oz. and 1-lb. bags) with a Best Before date of 122013 122613
● Cockatiel Sunny Orchard Nutri-Berries (10 oz. bags) with a Best Before date of 122113 and 010214
● Parrot Sunny Orchard Nutri-Berries (10 oz. and 3-lb. bags) with a Best Before date of 122513 and 122813
Although no illnesses have been reported due to use of these products, the company is recommending that bird owners stop feeding these products to their pets.
“If your pet is acting sick, please bring in your pet immediately,” said Dr. Steven Fox, President and Chief Executive Officer, Central Veterinary Associates. “Our Valley Stream facility has a hospital that is open around the clock, 365 days a year, with a veterinarian always on duty in our emergency room. We also urge any pet owners who have bought any of these recalled products to return them to the store.”
CVA keeps its hospital in Valley Stream open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, including all major holidays. For more information or to make an appointment, call 1 (888) 4CVA-PET (428-2738) or visit www.centralvets.com.