VALLEY STREAM, NY — Central Veterinary Associates has announced that Barkworthies of Richmond, Virginia is recalling select lots of its dog food due to the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. In addition to the risks for pets, humans can also be subject to Salmonella poisoning by handling the contaminated pet product.
The recalled product was distributed nationwide beginning on May 6, 2014 to distributors, retail stores, Internet retailers, and directly to consumers. The product can be identified by the batch ID code (best used by date) printed on the side of the plastic tube. The following products are included in the recall:
Barkworthies Chicken Vittles Dog Chews Lot Code: 1254T1 Size: 16 oz. Plastic Pouch. Best Used by Date: May 2016.UPC: 816807011510.
There are no reports of illness in pets or people as a result of the products. Pets that are infected with Salmonella may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Some pets will only have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain.
“It is important for all pet owners who purchased these products to return them to the store for a full refund,” says Dr. John Charos, DVM, President/CEO, Central Veterinary Associates. “It is recommended that this product no longer be fed to your pets and to contact your local veterinarian as soon as possible if your pet becomes ill as the result of consuming this product.”
CVA keeps its hospital in Valley Stream open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, including all major holidays. For more information or to make an appointment, call 1 (888) 4CVA-PET (428-2738) or visit www.centralvets.com.