1. Fish: Most types of fish (freshwater) are inexpensive to buy, and fish tank maintenance is minimal after the initial investment of a tank and aquarium supplies. The best fish for toddlers are inexpensive, durable fish, such as goldfish. Maintenance will be simply feeding once or twice a day, and cleaning the fishbowl or aquarium once a week. If you keep the bowl or aquarium away from direct sunlight, algae will grow more slowly and you can clean it less often.
2. Gecko/Lizard: Geckos and lizards are known for their gentle disposition and tolerance for handling. Leopard geckos are especially good because they don’t grow longer than seven to 10 inches. Adults can be fed every other day and left alone for a weekend. Since geckos tend to designate one corner of the cage as the bathroom, keeping their home clean is relatively easy.
3. Frogs: African dwarf frogs are very easy to take care of. They are a lot of fun to watch and aren’t as smelly as a hamsters, dogs or cats and a lot less work. Plus, you only need to clean the tank once every three months. Keep a pack of bloodworms in your freezer and you’re good to go.
4. Guinea Pig/Hamster: If your child wants a pet that he/she can cuddle, a guinea pig or hamster is a pleasing handful and plenty entertaining. They’re small and easy to wash, they can live in a cage and you feed them about once a day. What’s more, guinea pigs and hamsters are very affordable.
5. Cats: Cats are an ideal pet for kids because of they are independent, but also love to be sweet and cuddly, plus, they clean themselves. The best part about them is that you can go away for a weekend and leave food and water out for them, just make sure not to be gone too long as you’ll need to clean the litter box every week or so, otherwise the smell will be gross.